Friday, August 27, 2010

I Moved!

Well, I did the unthinkable - I moved. I honestly thought I would never move away from my host family, but I had my reasons for wanting to move and I did, yesterday. I will try to give you a mental picture until I post pictures of it, which will not happen until I have it fixed, i.e. unpacked and decorated.

When you walk in the front door you are standing in the corridor - there is a coat rack, small table with a mirror, where I fix my hair and for the first time since I have been in the country have access to a full length mirror to actually check out my outfits! To the right is a room that will serve as my kitchen - it is very spacious, guess lack of furniture will do that, and has a big window giving it lots of light. In that room is a kitchen sink and a fridge. Back in the corridor again, to the left is my bedroom. It has my bed and place for my clothes (can only think of the word in Azerbaijani, can't find the English word right now). But this clothes holder thing has a place where I can hang my dresses, amazing! Haven't had that before either. At the far end of my bedroom is a door which accesses my enclosed balcony. On the balcony is my gas stove - with 3 working burners! I am pumped about that, the gas is a lot stronger than at my old place. So that is the rundown of my apartment. Anything missing!?! You're probably wandering where my toilet and shower are? Well, they are in my own little enclosed yard - outside of my apartment building. I can't get indoor plumbing for the life of my in this country! But, I am okay with it, it is just a short walk to my yard. It is mine alone, I am the only one with the key (I bought a new lock) - there was some dispute on how many keys there were to the old lock so I solved that problem by buying a new one. I still have a squatty potty, but I actually like them so I don't mind. My shower is absolutely fabulous - the water doesn't just drip on my head, but comes out of all the holes on the shower head - its amazing. The shower alone was worth the move to me. However, I do have to heat the water up via burning wood. Didn't try that this morning, little apprehensive, not going to lie - but I will get the hang of it eventually, hopefully before winter comes.

Lessons learning: how to heat my water and the water schedule (i.e. when the water comes so I can fill my water tank). Also, where to put my garbage - still a mystery.

Lesson learned: Just because I am the only one with a key to my yard doesn't mean I should shower or using the bathroom with the doors open (which I love, not a fan of doors) and shouldn't walk around my yard naked either, which I also like. Why? As I learned this morning, people on the second floor can see down into my yard - opps! lol.

2 comments:

Sharon Eilts said...

Is the word you're looking for closet or perhaps wardrobe?

Hannah said...

Sharon - you are so right, wardrobe. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. Closet doesn't really apply because it is just a piece of furniture, right?